In order to get into the Italian state of mind, one has to eat like an Italian!
Try my family recipe that's the perfect mash-up of Italy and Texas. The sauce infuses an Italian red sauce with the tongue-tingling taste of Texas, compliments of jalapeño. Bold and spicy, the sauce is a favorite, so it won't last long. Put some in a Mason jar and share it with your new best friend for life.
Make your tummy smile. More recipes here.
~ ~ ~ GIUSEPPE'S RED SAUCE ~ ~ ~
Get ready for a
1 Pound | Ground Chili Beef
1 Pound | Ground Hot Italian Sausage
3 Tablespoons | Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Palm Full | Fennel Seed
8 - 12 Cloves | Minced Garlic
2 | Seeded and Chopped Fresno Chili Peppers or Red Bell Peppers or Italian Cherry Chili Peppers
2 Medium | Chopped White Onions
4 - 5 Medium | Chopped Jalapeños
1 Cup | Dry White Wine
4 Cans (28 Ounce Sized) | San Marzano Style Tomatoes
To Taste | Gray Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
8 - 12 Sprigs | Finely Chopped Marjoram
¾ Cup | Finely Chopped Parsley
12 Leaves | Chopped Basil Leaves
Garnish | Parsley, Basil, Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
1. Brown the meats together over a medium-high heat. Drain and put into an 8 quart stock pot.
2. In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat.
3. Add the fennel, garlic, chili pepper, onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the vegetable mixture into the stock pot.
5. Add the wine and tomatoes, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
6. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, marjoram, parsley and the basil.
7. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and reduce the sauce for 30-45 minutes before serving.
Serve atop your favorite pasta, pizza, meatball, crostini or eggplant. You can use this sauce as your secret ingredient in a mouth-watering, memorable lasagna. You can omit the meat for a tasty meatless sauce... it's just as flavorful! This recipe will generously serve an Italian-sized family of up to 12, depending on how it's served and how loose their "britches" are.
Pictured Pasta ~ Orecchiette, from De Cecco. It hugs the sauce right tight!
Mangia! : Mangia!
Keep On Cookin' : Learn more about some of our favorite eating and reading essentials. Surprise your kitchen, family and friends by adding these to your collection. Click. Get. Eat! Your tummy will award you with a "Standing O!"
for the love of :