Thursday, July 4, 2013
Recipe ~ Eggplant and Mozzarella Rounds
This dish is amazingly tasty. Probably because of the fresh and few ingredients - a sign of a simple pleasure. While great as an appetizer, these rounds hold their own and can be a main course when accompanied with a salad or bruschetta.
~ ~ ~ EGGPLANT and MOZZARELLA ROUNDS ~ ~ ~
For the Sauce:
9 Ounces | Canned, Chopped Tomatoes
Pinch | Sugar
2 Cloves | Garlic, "Whacked" and Peeled
2 Tablespoons | Olive Oil
To Taste | Salt
For the Base:
3 | Eggplants, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
5 Tablespoons | Olive Oil (use the good stuff)
Up To 1 Pound | Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced
To Taste | Salt
What To Do:
1. Let's make the tomato sauce. Put the tomatoes, sugar and garlic into a pan and season with salt. Cover and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic.
2. Mash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon (or use an immersion blender on the sauce while the sauce is in the pan). Heat sauce for another 15 minutes.
3. While the sauce is cooking place the eggplant slices into a colander. Sprinkle them with salt and let drain for 30 minutes (the salt will draw out some moisture). Rinse the slices then pat dry with paper towels.
4. Remove the pan of tomato sauce from the heat and let cool then stir in the olive oil.
5. Preheat the oven oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the eggplant slices, in batches, and fry turning once for 10 minutes or until they are a light golden brown.
6. Remove the eggplant slices with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels. Transfer the eggplant slices to the baking sheet. Place a slice of mozzarella on top of each eggplant slice then top with a teaspoon of tomato sauce.
7. Bake the rounds for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
8. Serve warm or cold. The leftover sauce may be frozen and used for future feasting.
Mangia! : Mangia!
Keep On Cookin' : This recipe is compliments of our favorite Italian cookbook "Recipes from an Italian Summer." Learn more about this favorite eating and reading essential here. Treat your kitchen, family and friends by adding this cookbook to your collection. Click. Get. Eat! Your tummy will reward you with a "Standing O!"
More of our favorite recipes here.
for the love of :