Thursday, September 1, 2011
Recipe ~ Tomatoes with Zucchini
In order to get into the Italian state of mind, one has to eat like an Italian!
This tomato with zucchini recipe is one of life's simple pleasures! So simple, in fact, you're likely to have all the ingredients sitting in your cucina right now.
So let's get started. Make your tummy smile.
~ ~ ~ TOMATOES with ZUCCHINI ~ ~ ~
For Brushing and Drizzling | EVOO
8 | Red Tomatoes
2 | Zucchini (trimmed)
1 Spring | Flat-Leaf Parsley (chopped)
1 Clove | Garlic (chopped)
7 Ounces | Mozarella Cheese (sliced)
1/2 Teaspoon | Dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper | To Taste
What To Do:
0. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
1. Brush an ovenproof dish with the EVOO (olive oil).
2. Thinly slice the tomatoes without cutting all the way through, leaving them joined at the bottom.
3. Halve the zucchini lengthwise, then slice them into thin strips. Slip the strips of zucchini between the slices of tomatoes.
4. Place the tomatoes in the oil-prepared dish, sprinkle them with the parsely and garlic, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with EVOO.
5. Bake for 30 minutes; remove the dish from the oven but do not turn the oven off.
6. Carefully tuck the mozarella slices between the tomato and zucchini slices, sprinkle with oregano and return to the oven for 10 minutes. When the mozarella starts to melt and forms strings, you're done!
Transfer to a warm serving dish and serve immediately. Serves 4-8 hungry Texans.
Mangia! : Mangia!
Foodie Fact : The tomato actually migrated from South America eastward to Italy. So while Italy didn't birth the tomato, it seems natural that our reddest of friends would surely speak Italiano.
Keep On Cookin' : This recipe is compliments of our favorite Italian cookbook "Recipes from an Italian Summer." Learn more about this favorite eating and reading essential here. Treat your kitchen, family and friends by adding this cookbook to your collection. Click. Get. Eat! Your tummy will award you with a "Standing O!"
More of our favorite recipes here.
for the love of :