In order to get into the Italian state of mind, one has to eat like an Italian! Try this favorite recipe, which will make you a better Italian. Or at least someone who eats like one.
Make your tummy smile. More recipes here.
~ ~ ~ FETA, ROASTED PEPPER & BASIL MUFFINS ~ ~ ~
2 Cups | Unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Teaspoons | Baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon | Baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon | Salt
1 Cup | Crumbled feta cheese
1/2 Cup | Jarred roasted red bell pepper, patted dry and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
4 Tablespoons | Finely chopped fresh basil
1 Cup | Buttermilk
1/4 Cup | Olive Oil ("EVOO")
1 | Large Egg
To Taste | Freshly Ground Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, stir together the feta cheese, roasted bell pepper and chopped basil. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the buttermilk, olive oil and egg until well-blended. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the buttermilk mixture into the well. Mix gently until the batter looks smooth. A few small lumps are OK; they will disappear during baking. Top with fresh pepper and then gently fold-in the feta cheese mixture until evenly distributed in the batter.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the tops feel firm and a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean.
5. Set muffin tin on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Gently run a knife around the outer edges to free the muffins from the pan.
Serve warm. Makes 12 tasty muffins! Enjoy!
Mangia! : Mangia!
Keep On Cookin' : Learn more about some of our favorite eating and reading essentials. Surprise your kitchen, family and friends by adding these to your collection. Click. Get. Eat! Your tummy will award you with a "Standing O!"
for the love of :